POP3 , Inetd and Handbook.

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Tue Mar 16 22:39:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Jorge Biquez <jbiquez at icsmx.com> wrote:
> Hello all.

[...]
> I moved from 4.3 to latest version and it is working fine. On $.x I used to

Sorry dunno what $.x is....

> have inedt active since services are basic. On new system inedt did not
> active service immediately (not here at least) so I enable the service like
> "ftpd" on rc.conf

IMHO you should use inetd and tcp wrappers for every non-secured
service/daemon such as POP3

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-inetd.html

> POP3. I remember I read in the list that inetd is not so secure (am I
> wrong?) and that if possible should not be used but since I need services up

It sounds a bit bizarre, could you point to a therad mentioning that?
Maybe it was discussion comparing it xinetd? The latter is not used by
default on FreeBSD AFAIK, but I don't use sendmail either, so I guess
it's a question of choice.

> I used that way. Now before studying what's the best way to do things I need
> to have a pop3 deamon running. I installed from ports popper but and qpopper
> but it does not work. What's the daemon for popper ? It will worlk if I
> enable it in rc.conf.?

There are several poppers RTFM, the T there is for "Their". Again, the
POP3 service is not FreeBSD specific and there are thousands of
sources, especially those of the opriginal projects ported to FreeBSD.
Maybe you should look into dovecot (http://www.dovecot.org/).

> Inetdd. I want to learn all teh new features (left the path more than a
> year) so I do not want that you solve my problem, but if you can point me to
> where and what study to learn the changes done and the best way to have
> secure and working systems I would apreciate it. I am reading Handbook now.

Inetd is of course not FreeBSD-specific. Again, there are zillions of
references to the inetd service and tcp warppers. Rad them. You could
start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inetd

> On Handbook. Is a PDF copy available?. Believe it or not sometime I can find
> access to the internet and I would like to be stuyding on those times also.

The single HTML version could be downloaded to your machine by a
simple use of wget:

wget http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html

Cheers,
Alejandro Imass