building from source after freebsd-update

Alexandre L. axelbsd at ymail.com
Mon Mar 15 13:17:01 UTC 2010

> That handbook section is where I read:
> "The default is to update the source code, the entire base
> system, and the kernel."

First, freebsd-update tool sync the source.

> And in fact much of the /usr/src/ does contain source
> code.
>
> /usr/src/sys/ subdirectories seem populated, and some
> directories under
> /usr/src/usr.bin/ and /usr/src/usr.sbin/ contain source,
> while others only
> contain the Makefile.
>
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/ contains only the Makefile.
> Which lead to the
> make depend error I experienced.
>
> It seems like I could build the kernel, and parts of the
> non-kernel base,
> but not other parts.
>
> After RTFMing, scroogling for days, and going through
> UPDATINGs and READMEs I'm
> still not clear on how to mix freebsd-update and building
> all or parts of the
> base source.
>
> I'm interested in being able to build system apps in the
> base, custom kernel
> modules, and eventually the entire kernel.

Freebsd-update tool will update your base system and GENERIC kernel, using binary. If your are using a custom kernel, you must reboot on the GENERIC kernel (that have just been upgraded) and do your make buildkernel KERNCONF=yourkernel and make installkernel KERNCONF=mykernel

> freebsd-update is _extremely_ painless for tracking the
> security patches. It
> would be nice to be able to mix this with a certain amount
> of building source.

From the Handbook :
This utility provides two separate functions. First, it allows for binary security and errata updates to be applied to the FreeBSD base system without the build and install requirements. Second, the utility supports minor and major release upgrades.

This tool is only available for RELEASE, not for STABLE or CURRENT.

I hope this have helped you.