What is the path of knowledge from Novice to committer, In FreeBSD?

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Mon Mar 15 10:09:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 09:11:34AM +0530, Vishal Kashyap wrote:
> Respected Sir,
> *I am MCA(Master Of Computer Application) Student from India,Asia *and much
> intrested about UNIX or UNIX-like OS. As per my knowledge, in FreeBSD; there
> are
>
> *Volunteers(For Questioning) --> Contributers --> Committers*
> *
> 1] To be VOLUNTEER
> 2] After That; To Be Contributer
> 3] After That; To Be a Committer.
> *

(Everyone is a volunteer, insofar as they don't get paid by FreeBSD for
their work - that applies to those of us who answer the occasional question
on the list to the most active kernel developers.)

> So, please guide me sir, about the above path (iff, it is correct) i.e. how
> could i cover above path? I mean to say, how could I develop my Knowlwdge in
> FreeBSD to follow above path.

Find something in FreeBSD that you would like to see improved, study it,
and improve it. If your patches are accepted, you have become a contributor.
If you continue to provide high quality patches that lead to an improvement
in FreeBSD's overall quality, you will one day be given commit rights. It's
as easy as that. Note that your patches could be for utility or kernel code,
or for documentation. The important thing is that they improve the quality
of the system.

> Please, guide me with any thing you think better for me(books,web links,any
> thing). I've average knowledge of UNIX. And, right now; I am studying
> FreeBSD on Vmware Workstation.

Use the source. It is freely available and is in any case what you will be
working with if you intend to provide patches. There are various mailing
lists that may prove useful (check out the available lists on the FreeBSD
web site (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL)

Good luck!

Dan

--