Updating ports was Flash viewer for FBSD

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 11:32:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 14:29:57 +0700
Pongthep Kulkrisada <ptkrisada at gmail.com> articulated:

> > Programs like portmaster can be really helpful here.
> Yes, it is what I am expecting. Thank you.
> I read the handbook. There are 2 choices i.e. portmanager and
> portmaster. I am now thinking which one is better.
> I must also check time and disk space required to build all these
> ports.

Personally, I prefer portmanager. I would suggest that you empty your
"/usr/ports/distfiles" directory entirely. If you have java installed,
download the source files needed to build it and place them in the that
directory. Update your entire ports tree and then run:

	portmanager -u -l -y -f

That will rebuild your entire ports system in the correct order.
Depending on the speed of your system and number of ports installed,
that might take a day, give or take a few hours. I would shutdown 'X'
prior to doing the update also. When done, reboot and all should be
well. I have done it before with great success.

BTW, you might also want to set: "BATCH=yes" sans quotation marks in
your "/etc/make.conf" file. It will eliminate those pesky pop-up
messages concerning configuring the port(s).

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

If you lose a son you can always get another,
but there's only one Maltese Falcon.

	Sidney Greenstreet, "The Maltese Falcon"