Flash viewer for FBSD

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Fri Mar 5 17:54:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Pongthep Kulkrisada <ptkrisada at gmail.com> wrote:
> * C. P. Ghost (cpghost at cordula.ws) wrote:
>> If you csup, you update only /usr/src (or /usr/ports). Have you actually
>> updated the system and the ports as well?
> % uname -a
> FreeBSD bsdhost.localdomain 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Tue Dec  1 19:12:37 ICT 2009     root at bsdhost.localdomain:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

So your system is approx. 4 months old, despite you cvsup-ping?

>> As said, if all else breaks, try running OpenSolaris (or a Linux distro)
>> as a guest OS inside VirtualBox. This way, you have the best of both
>> worlds.
>
> I don't want to. Even now I have 2 OSes installed, I still hate it.
> In fact, 90% I boot of FreeBSD (at home).

That's understandable. I boot FreeBSD/amd64 almost exclusively too. Only
when I absolutely need Flash (and I very seldom do), I fire up VirtualBox on
FreeBSD with a little OpenSolaris installation. Since this OpenSolaris
guest lives in a single VirtualBox disk image, it doesn't clutter up my
FreeBSD system, contrary to the whole Linux compat shims and RPMs
needed to run the linux flash plugin.

Of course, it's all a matter of personal tastes, likes and dislikes. I'd rather
have a native flash plugin for FreeBSD/amd64 too (Firefox and Opera), but
this is unlikely in the near future, knowing the miserable track record of
Adobe's FreeBSD "support". ;-)

> Thanks,
> Pongthep

Regards,