Automated kernel crash reporting system

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 5 13:43:44 UTC 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010 8:50:56 am sean connolly wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Automatic reporting would end up being a mess given that panics can be
caused by hardware problems. Having an autoreport check if memtest was run
before it reports, or having it only run with -CURRENTmight be useful.

That's not quite true.  Many hardware failure-type panics look the same (a
machine check exception panic, an NMI due to a hardware error (this has a
unique panic message), or panics in pmap_remove*() on x86 cover the vast
majority of them).  My previous employer actually did track panics using a
script like crashinfo, and I was able to categorize known panics by looking
for signatures in stack backtraces or other panic messages.

> From: jhell <jhell at DataIX.net>

John Baldwin