Lockups with USB disks on FreeBSD

David Jackson djackson452 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 17:55:46 UTC 2010

David Jackson wrote:
> I am currently using FreeBSD 8.0. I have been, for a long time, been
> having problems with lockups of FreeBSD 8.0 when using USB hard disks.
> Sometimes certain applications lock up for several minutes, when they
> use the disk, file operations are very slow, and sometimes the entire
> operating system can lock up for several minutes. This can be a pretty
> painful thing and makes the system seem very unstable. I am using UFS
> filesystems on the disks. It seems to happen on multiple disks that i
> use.
>
> I was hopeful changes to the FreeBSD USB drivers might have improved
> things but they are as bad as ever.
>
> Help is appreciated.

Are there perhaps diagnostic tools or an error log that can be enabled
so I can see if maybe there is some sort of error occuring with the USB
transmissions that might be causing this problem, or perhaps what part
of the driver code it is getting locked up on?.

Has anyone else experienced problems such as this with USB disks? If
more information on my hardware is needed i will post dmesg output.

Any help is appreciated.