which /etc/src.conf options prevent moused rebuilding?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Jun 23 15:06:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 09:47:25AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jun 23), Anton Shterenlikht said:
> > I've an old slow i386 running -current r209398
> >
> > Because it's slow I don't build everything. Here's my
> > /etc/src.conf:
> >
> [...]
> > WITHOUT_LEGACY_CONSOLE=
> [...]
> > followed by the standard update procedure
> >
> > # make buildworld
> > # make buildkernel
> > # make installkernel
> > # reboot (single user)
> > # make installworld
> > # mergemaster
> > # make delete-old
> > # make delete-old-libs
> >
> > I was left with old moused:
> >
> > # moused
> > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libutil.so.8" not found, required by "moused"
> > #
>
> >From /usr/src/usr.sbin/Makefile :
>
> # XXX MK_SYSCONS
> # XXX is moused w/ usb useful?
> .if ${MK_LEGACY_CONSOLE} != "no"
> _kbdcontrol=    kbdcontrol
> _kbdmap=        kbdmap
> _moused=        moused
> _vidcontrol=    vidcontrol
> .endif
>
> Setting WITHOUT_LEGACY_CONSOLE= sets MK_LEGACY_CONSOLE=no, which disables
> moused.  It should probably be removed and built unconditionally, since yes,
> moused is useful with usb :)

Dan, many thanks

I wish src.conf(5) man page were more descriptive on this option.
At present it only contains:

     WITHOUT_LEGACY_CONSOLE
             Set to not build programs that support a legacy PC console; e.g.
             kbdcontrol(8) and vidcontrol(8).

so I though it doesn't affect moused.

Maybe I should post to @doc about this..

thank you again