Obtaining / downloading latest release of freeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jun 18 06:16:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:53:25 -0700 (PDT), cipher crypted <xciphercryptedx at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a bit slow when it comes to downloads, and I have been
> consumed by this slowness in trying to download/obtain your
> latest release of FreeBSD (8.0, I think). I visited your "get
> FreeBSD page and clicked on your "amd64 distribution" link,
> and couldn't figure out what or how to download and install
> your latest distribution from the resulting page.
> Can someone please guide a lame-brain like me to this task,
> please? Or point me in the right direction as to where I can
> obtain help for this in plain, lamens terms?

Go to this page

	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/8.0/

and download, according to your needs, one of those files:

	8.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
	8.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
	8.0-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso.gz
	8.0-RELEASE-amd64-livefs.iso

If you want to install FreeBSD, I'd go with -disc1.iso. See

	http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/announce.html

for an explaination what the files mentioned above are intended
for (section "Availability"). You will also find information on
this page about how to download FreeBSD via BitTorrent.

For lowering download time, you may want to check a mirror near
your location. See list of mirrors here:

	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html

When the download has been completed, burn the ISO file to a
CD, and boot your machine with this CD.

If you need further help, refer to the excellent handbook and
FAQ provided by FreeBSD:

	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/

Enjoy!