Ownership of /var/named Changes on Reboot.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Jun 17 02:33:04 UTC 2010

	I run named chrooted to bind but not in a jail. When the
system reboots, something changes ownership of /var/named back
to root:wheel.

	I have thought several times I figured out how to
prevent this from happening, but to no avail. The most promising
lead was the following directives in /etc/rc.conf.local:

named_uid="bind" 		# User to run named as
named_chrootdir=""	# Chroot directory (or "" not to auto-chroot it)
named_chroot_autoupdate="YES"	# Automatically install/update chrooted

	Is there a way to keep /var/named owned by bind across
reboots?

	Our production FreeBSD systems are up for years at a
time so we don't see this problem often, but we have just been
lucky that I am usually the one to reboot and know that named
will come up broken and exit because named can not write in to
/var/named when it is owned by root. It would be really nice to
be able to count on /var/named staying put so named can just
start automatically after a reboot.

	I prefer for named to run as a low-priority UID rather
than as root so if I am doing something wrong, tell me that,
also. We have been running named with a high-numbered UID for
probably ten years and the force back to root ownership has
always been a factor when the system is rebooted.

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer