resize freebsd slice

Rolf Nielsen listreader at lazlarlyricon.com
Sat Jun 12 14:02:49 UTC 2010

2010-06-12 15:50, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas skrev:
> i have a problem while i am trying to restore the dump files..
>
> i followed your instructions but when i give
>
> "restore -rf /backup/root.dump" i receive the following error:
>
> expected next file 188417,got 4
>

> and the output of ls in the /mnt directory is:
> .snap
> restoresymtable
> terietor
>

> what is going on?

Either you executed dump without the L flag when the filesystem was
mounted rw or, if you did give the L flag, some file changed while dump
was creating the snapshot from which to create the dump. When dumping /
it's ALWAYS safer to have it mounted read only. In my first reply, I
suggested you boot into single user and create the dump from there.

I've had the same type of message several times, but I've never found
them to cause any harm. However, I never dump sensitive data from a
read/write mounted fs. If possible I re-mount it read only, otherwise I
boot into single user.

And to be rudely honest: HAVE YOU READ ANYTHING ANYONE HAS WRITTEN?