resize freebsd slice

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Jun 11 21:41:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 08:17:14PM +0300, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas wrote:

> ok,but if i delete this 2 slices then i will delete my entire system..

That is why some of the other respondents said you must first
create a good dump(8) of those two slices (or at least the one
with stuff in it).    You don't have to touch the two other slices.

There is nothing that will expand a live slice that I know of.
I know there is in the MS world, but it is a different situation.

> then should i have to install it from the beggining,but i don't want to do
> that.

Although I would advise taking a dump(8) of everything with data before
starting, since those two slices appear to be adjacent, you should be able
to do the operation without affecting the other two slices.

But, the two you work on will definitely be affected.  You will need to
dump and then reload the data..

////jerry