resize freebsd slice

Rolf G Nielsen rnmtw at lazlarlyricon.com
Fri Jun 11 18:27:22 UTC 2010

2010-06-11 19:17, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas skrev:
> ok,but if i delete this 2 slices then i will delete my entire system..
>
> then should i have to install it from the beggining,but i don't want to do
> that.

Read my previous description of how I would have approached the problem,
and the answers shall come to you...

In case you don't know how to back up data, read the dump(8) and
restore(8) man pages.

If you don't have access to any external space, e.g. a USB disk or
network access to sufficient storage space, you may need to consider
backing up only the important files from the /home partition and
personalised config files from /etc and /usr/local/etc to a DVD,
reinstall the system from scratch (the installation program lets you
delete the s3 and s4 slices and create a new, bigger s3 slice), and then
restore the backed up files.

If you don't even have a DVD recorder, try accessing the Linux slice.
I've never used it myself, but FreeBSD should be able to access ext*
file systems, and store the backup there. Do this BEFORE reinstalling.