Question on packages and ports (and versions)

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Fri Jun 11 08:22:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Antonio Vieiro
<antonio at antonioshome.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ah, I see.
>
> So if I need a more advanced version of some software, that has been
> installed as a package, I can use portupgrade (or other port
> management tools) to upgrade the package to a port. Am I right?
The packages are built from the ports tree itself. Therefore if your
ports tree matches the one that is used to build the packages exactly
you will have no problems.
If your ports tree is newer you will have no problems attempting to
upgrade using a port.
However if you want to use packages after you upgraded via ports and
the build cluster has yet to catch up to your version the package may
"depend" on an old version and see to install it.

--
Eitan Adler