upgrade from FBSD from 8.0-release to stable-8

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sun Jun 6 14:36:33 UTC 2010

On 06/06/2010 4:37 μ.μ., Giorgos Tsiapaliokas wrote:
> hello,
>
> i have seach to net but i haven't find a way to update my system from
> 8.0-release to stable-8.
>
> can you tell me a way to do this?
>
> thanks in advance

Since you are just starting with this, I would advise against it. Unless
you know STABLE contains something you really need (i.e. a must have
driver or fix for your particular hardware), I would say stay on RELEASE
until you are more comfortable with your system. Going from RELEASE to
STABLE involves recompiling the system from source. It is not really
difficult, but it will save you a lot of trouble if you first get better
acquainted with your system. If you would like to try it anyway, here
are the instructions:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/el/books/handbook/current-stable.html
(starting from 24.5.2)

Since you are experimenting and don't have any data on the system, you
may also wish to directly install one of the snapshots that will get you
directly to a STABLE system. You can find snapshot ISOs here:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201005/

or you may even wish to try 8.1-BETA1 which is also available in local
mirrors (like otenet):

ftp://ftp.otenet.gr/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/8.1/