Booting Xserve on 8.0

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 11:09:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Chris <eagletree at hughes.net> wrote:

>>  Thanks for the response.
>
> That would be a great solution, I read that Apple doesn't permit
> it to be installed on the XServe. That comes from an Apple article
> in their support pages dated November 19, 2008. Firmware update
> is required and none exists according to the note. I am researching
> if that is still true but haven't turned anything up yet.
>
> EFI is the issue. I was hoping there is new information such as
> an installation with EFI configuration files to permit the boot.
> There are instructions available on creating such an installation
> for linux variants. They don't seem to apply to FreeBSD or I haven't
> the knowledge to create such an installation.

Well if you want to run BSD on it, I suggest NetBSD.  They use rEFIt for it.
http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_NetBSD_on_an_Apple_Macbook_w/core2duo

I would say there is even some reasonable hope it that it would work well.
I'm no expert thought so you could try asking over there.

--
Adam Vande More