Correct syntax of "supfile" to keep ports upgraded?

Ed Flecko edflecko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 18:12:37 UTC 2010

Thank you Roland; I didn't know portsnap is part of the base install.

:-)

>From a book that I have (Absolute FreeBSD - 2nd Edition), it says"

PORTSNAP VS. CSUP
Use either portsnap(8) or csup(1) to update the Ports Collection, but
not both. The
two tools are incompatible. csup is most useful if you are tracking
-stable or -current,
while portsnap is best for production systems where you use binary updates. You
can make either portsnap(8) or csup(1) work in either situation, but
you must pick
one and stick with it!"

Does this apply to me, since I'm following the "errata" branch
(*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8_0) and up update, I use the
following command:

csup -4 /etc/stable-supfile

Maybe I should use cvsup (cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/stable-supfile) instead
so I can use portsnap???

What do you think?

Ed