BSD logo (a moderate opinion)

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Jul 29 15:03:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:15:27AM -0400, Bob Hall wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:52:07AM +0200, ?????? wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:55:04 -0600
> > Dale Scott <dalescott at shaw.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > Personally, I enjoy our mascot Beastie, as well as the
> > > Beastie-influenced official logo. I also smile when I see Casper,
> > > Wendy andHotStuff. However, I also accept there are individuals who
> > > understand these symbols differently than me, and that I may be
> > > alienating them to my detriment.  It seems consumer products need to
> > > be mindful of cultural differences, is FreeBSD different? A larger
> > > community and increased OS market share wouldn't be all that bad,
> > > would it?
> > >
> > > I hope that those of you who believe in FreeBSD but with a personal
> > > conflict with the mascot or logo, band together and propose a
> > > complementary alternate symbol. I don't mean flooding the mail list
> > > (it's obvious we can do that on our own), I'm talking about difficult
> > > time-consuming organization, lobbying, and support gathering. For me,
> > > I hope Beastie endures forever - he our first and legacy mascot - but
> > > I also wouldn't object to one or two more officially sanctioned
> > > mascots and logos either.
> > >
> > > Dale Scott
> > >

> > Personally, I tried to stay out of this conversion (because it's OT and
> > I find all religions annoying). But, anyway, IIRC, the reason why
> > our nice little beastie is no longer the official FreeBSD logo, is the
> > sentiments you just mentioned. There was a discussion about this years
> > ago on one of the mailing lists (I don't remember which one anymore),
> > which resulted in a contest, and the result is the horned ball logo you
> > find on the top of www.freebsd.org. This is also the reason why we
> > have to add 'beastie_disable="NO"' to /boot/loader.conf after a fresh
> > install now. So, please, refrain from calling for yet another new logo.
>
> Beastie is the mascot, and the sex toy is the logo. It is only the
> mascot that the OP objected to. He didn't mention any objections to the
> logo.

Actually, the OP said logo and made no mention of mascott.
I am the one way back in this thread that introduced the difference
of BSDie mascot and round thing logo in this thread.
I assumed the OP meant the BSDie mascot and proceeded in that
direction.   But, it is possible that the OP really did mean
that sex toy than made him uncomfortable for religious reasons.
I haven't heard my assumption corrected by him though.

////jerry