growisofs gives random error messages on 8.1 amd64

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jul 26 01:11:26 UTC 2010

Sadly, I can't help you very much because I'm using a HAL/DBUS free
system. That's why my assumption that HAL may be the source of your
problem is just a wild guess. If it's possible, disable HAL, maybe
even don't boot into Gnome, and run the growisofs as the manpage
illustrates. See if the problem occurs then, too.

Your command was

	growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=4 -Z /dev/cd0=imagefile.iso'

You can omit the -speed parameter as growisofs usually (this means,
at least by my individual experience) will automatically determine
the correct writing speed.

As writing started - your example did show that - I don't think
it's a problem with permissions (cd, pass, xpt devices).

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:35:53 +0800, Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com> wrote:
> The output is random. It even claimed once to have the DVD finished.

> But the DVD is not mountable.

Check "file - < /dev/acd0" if an ISO file system has been written
to the DVD.

> As it was never used to burn, it also could be a hardware problem.
> Reading was not a problem on 8.0.

Could be, especially if you consider the range of errors, from "no
write at all" to "finished writing" (with no readable result).

> I followed this advice:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html#q6

Just for testing, I would first eleminate HAL and all the "automation
magic". The test setting should be as "clean" as possible.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany