ports INDEX file

Benjamin Lee ben at b1c1l1.com
Fri Jul 23 01:43:15 UTC 2010

On 07/22/2010 06:20 PM, Fbsd8 wrote:
> I have a pristine install  of 8.0.
> There is no /usr/ports directory yet.
> I am trying to use the "portcheckout" port and the "porteasy" port to
> just populate the ports tree with only the ports I use.
>
> Problem is in both cases the above ports require an existing INDEX file
> to process and since I have none they don't work.
>
> How can I just download the ports INDEX file?
> Portsnap is not a solution.

Well, The INDEX file is a component of the ports tree distribution.  If
you choose not to use the supported method of installing it (i.e.
installing the ports tree), you'll have to create your own.

Hint: Per ports(7), take a look at the definition of the 'fetchindex'
target.

--
Benjamin Lee
http://www.b1c1l1.com/