FreeBSD and Broadband network connection

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Thu Jul 22 22:45:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:36:27AM -0700, subbu 4u wrote:
> Hi,
>   My name is Subburaj from India, I bought a broadband internet connection and
> tried to connect with Freebsd system, I edited the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf with my
> username, password and i.p address that my ISP gave me but its not going
> through.  I tried to troubleshoot with freebsd handbook and also with forums but
> its not working but my internet connection is working with windows 7 systems.
> The freeBSD were able to detect my ethernet card as vr0 and also my external
> modem is working with freebsd but there is no connection when I ping.  Kindly
> help.

If you have an external modem, this will mean that your probably nat'ing
from your modem. ie: your modem establishes the connection with your
ISP.

If this is the case, all you have to do is establish your vr0 network
with your modem, and set it as the default route.

If this is not the case, you will need to provide the list with more
details as to the internal network structure; ie IP addresses, etc.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>