How do you automatically start Apache, Bind, etc. in a jail?

Ed Flecko edflecko at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 22:20:56 UTC 2010

Hi folks,
I have Apache installed in a "qjail" named "webserver" (I.P. address
192.168.225.130) using the "pkg_add -r apache22" command, but how do
you get Apache (or Bind, etc.) to automatically start upon boot?

I got the jail to start by adding qjail_enable="YES" to hosts'
/etc/rc.conf and I also added apache22_enable="YES", but that doesn't
seem to work.

Suggestions?

Also, when I console into the jail, and issue an "apachectl start"
command, I get the following error:

httpd: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for webserver
httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName

I figured out if I add the IP address of the jail as well as
"webserver" to the jails' hosts file, I can start Apache, but I still
get this error:

httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using 192.168.225.130 for ServerName

What am I doing wrong?

Finally, rather than installing Apache using the typical "pkg_add -r
apache22" command, is there a way to install Apache using the
./configure script? In MY case, I know the EXACT parameters I want to
pass to the ./configure script (like enabling SSL, etc), but I don't
know how to do this in a "jail".

>From the jail console, I tried:

cd /usr/ports/www/apache22
./configure --enable-ssl...etc., etc., etc.???

but this doesn't work.

Do I need to do the opposite, i.e., from the HOST console:

./configure --prefix=/PathToJail --enable-ssl...etc., etc., etc???

Thank you!

Ed