Emacs splash screen went to textmode only

Ashish SHUKLA ashish at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 21 20:03:03 UTC 2010

Markus Hoenicka writes:
> Quoting Ashish SHUKLA <ashish at FreeBSD.org>:

>> And please also evaluate following functions in Emacs (in X11) and
>> paste their
>> output:
>>

> This is the output from 23.2.1, i.e. the one which doesn't show the
> fancy splash screen:

> (use-fancy-splash-screens-p)
> nil

#v+
(defun use-fancy-splash-screens-p ()
  "Return t if fancy splash screens should be used."
  (when (and (display-graphic-p)
             (or (and (display-color-p)
		 (image-type-available-p 'xpm))
                 (image-type-available-p 'pbm)))
    (let ((frame (fancy-splash-frame)))
      (when frame
	(let* ((img (create-image (or fancy-splash-image
				      (if (and (display-color-p)
					       (image-type-available-p 'xpm))
					  "splash.xpm" "splash.pbm"))))
	       (image-height (and img (cdr (image-size img nil frame))))
	       ;; We test frame-height so that, if the frame is split
	       ;; by displaying a warning, that doesn't cause the normal
	       ;; splash screen to be used.
	       (frame-height (1- (frame-height frame))))
	  (> frame-height (+ image-height 19)))))))
#v-

Well I use a tiling WM (Xmonad), and to reproduce your issue, I started 12
instances of 'xterm' and then started an Emacs instance with '-q
-no-site-file' which caused Emacs to start with a smaller window where I got a
non-fancy splash screen.

Try starting your Emacs in full-screen mode .e.g. 'emacs -fs'.

> The obvious difference is the value of (use-fancy-splash-screens-p).
> Both Emacsen were started with -q -no-site-file to be on a level
> ground.

HTH
--
Ashish SHUKLA      | GPG: F682 CDCC 39DC 0FEA E116  20B6 C746 CFA9 E74F A4B0
freebsd.org!ashish | http://people.freebsd.org/~ashish/

“If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them.” (Isaac Asimov)