system hangs on; "Probing devices, please wait (this can take a while)... "

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jul 19 23:00:01 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:38:20 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rl001 at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Ok well at least that's good to know. So I disconnected my hard drives and now
> it boots up further on the CD only but obviously I can't install it with no hard
> drives. Why does it hang on my drives and what can I do about it? They are just
> regular Seagate SATA drives.

I would suggest to boot with the live system CD, e. g. of 8.0-RELEASE.
It should not launch sysinstall automatically (you can even boot the
CD into SUM), so you end up with a regular shell. First, check all
the kernel's output for things that look... strange... and maybe you
even decide to install the system without sysinstall (if THAT is
what's causing all the trouble).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany