Emacs splash screen went to textmode only

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Mon Jul 19 19:32:05 UTC 2010

Ashish SHUKLA writes:
 > Can you upload the screenshot of what you're getting ?

Hi,

I've uploaded a screenshot right here:

http://www.abload.de/img/emacs-splashaws1.png

The image shows four incarnations of Emacs. These are, clockwise
starting from upper left:

1) Emacs started remotely on my laptop through ssh. This Emacs is
slightly older (23.1.1) than the one on my desktop (23.2.1). This is
what an unfiddled-with splash screen is supposed to look like in
recent versions.

2) Emacs started on my desktop, using -q -no-site-file as per your
suggestion. There are no graphics and no colors.

3) Another instance of Emacs started on my desktop, also with -q
-no-site-file. I switched to *scratch* and evaluated
(fancy-startup-screen). The fancy startup screen pops up without a
hitch.

4) Another instance of Emacs on my desktop, this time running in a
terminal. The startup screen is yet another one.

Any clues?

regards,
Markus

--