Virtualbox Networking Issues

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 02:34:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Chris Maness <chris at chrismaness.com> wrote:

> Things I tried:
>
> With all three vbox module inserted into the kernel
>
> NAT, Bridge, with the PC-Net FAST  Not able to ping anything (even the
> gateway)  I also tried ifconfig by hand
> NAT, Bridge, and Host-only with the first intel card on the list.
> Same response as above.
> NAT and Bridge with 2nd Intel card used.  DHCP worked under nat, but
> was unable to ping the outside internet.
> Bridge worked perfectly with DHCP and was able to talk to the outside
> world.  Bridge is preferred anyhow as I can set up a static with a
> public IP for access from the outside world.
>
> My host is headless, so I am running virtualbox headless and it works
> like a champ with the following command:
>
> # VBoxHeadless --vnc --vncport 5902 --startvm FreeBSD
>
> Note:  I had a similar issue with a FreeBSD client running under
> windows being picky as to which card I selected.  This was a couple of
> years ago.  Also, I think I see the same issue with the system time
> running wildly off from net time.  On my old virtualbox system the
> system clock was so unsteady that ntp would not even lock it down.

AFAIK, pinging from a VM set to use VirtualBox NAT has never worked on
FreeBSD Host/Guest setup.  TCP/UDP connections generally work though.

This perhaps explains it more, http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1247

Bridged networking mode hasn't failed me since shortly after it was patched
to work with FreeBSD.  Make sure you are not bridging with wireless NIC's as
I don't think those work yet.

--
Adam Vande More