Sec.Update -p4 and /boot/GENERIC

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Thu Jul 15 07:28:06 UTC 2010

On 07/14/2010 02:09 PM, n dhert wrote:
> A sec.update (8.0-p4) was released yeterday.
> I have a system which
> - feb 2010 : first install (with 8.0-RELEASE (using generic kernel))
> - 19 feb 2010 : updated to 8.0-RELEASE-p2
> - 25 feb 2010 : I made a Custom kernel (enabling disk quota)
>    then a /boot/kernel.old was created (the original generic kernel)
>    At that time I ought to have renamed /boot/kernel.old
>     to /boot/GENERIC but forgot it
> - 1 jun 2010 : updated to 8.0-RELEASE-p3
>   ( this was an sec.update without changes to kernel files)
>
> The latest sec/update (8.0-RELEASE-p4) was released yesterday
> During the night via cron job # freebsd-update fetch was performed
> Today, I executed (too hasty..)
> # freebsd-update install
>
> Only after that, I remarked that on another system, with a generic
> kernel,
> the mail message about the -p4 update mentionned changes to
> /boot/kernel/kernel and /boot/kernel.symbols.
> Normally, on this system, if I did have a directory /boot/GENERIC,
> I would have been warned in the mail , on this system, I guess,
> that /boot/GENERIC/kernel and /boot/GENERIC/kernel.symbols were
> among the changed files, but didnt get that warning
> because I have no /boot/GENERIC directory. Correct ?'
>
> What is the best thing to do now?
> I renamed /boot/kernel.old to /boot/GENERIC
> and ran
> # freebsd-update install
> once more, but it just simply says:
> No updates are available to install
>
> How can I achieve that /boot/GENERIC/kernel and /boot/GENERIC/kernel.symbols
> are replaced by what it should be for 8.0-RELEASE-p4 ?

You could try freebsd-update rollback
This you have already done: Then rename or copy your kernel.old
directory to GENERIC
After that run freebsd-update install again

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only. Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system.