Tv-card for freebsd

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 21:56:48 UTC 2010

On 7/14/10, Bernt Hansson <bernt at bah.homeip.net> wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I'm in the process of buying a tv-card for dvb-t transmissions.
>
> Any tips on cards that have a driver for freebsd?
>
> Thank you.

For a built-in tuner card itself, no recommendations.

For an alternative solution, look at silicondust.com for the HDHomeRun
boxes.  I've had one for a long time and it is a beautiful device.
Simply stated, a dual (or more) digital tuner to ethernet bridge.

The consumer versions run only on DHCP, and they've recently announced
one that can accept tuner cards (for decoding a cable TV or satellite
broadcast, for example).

I haven't read the mechanics behind it, but it kinda looks like it's
tuned and channel data is sent to any ethernet-ready device by use of
ethernet frames.  You change settings by sending commands to the box.
There are frequent firmware updates but nothing that has yet applied
to me to fix a broken issue.

Enjoy!