libSM Configure Script Failure

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 14 19:38:51 UTC 2010

Greg Larkin wrote:
> Chris Maness wrote:
>> What would cause a configure script to fail?  See output bellow.
>
>> Chris Maness
>> (909) 223-9179
>> http://www.chrismaness.com
>

> Hi Chris,
>
> Since we've been conversing privately for a bit, I went back to your
> original message and found something that might benefit you and the list
> as a whole, if someone else runs into this problem.
>
> I see this error message:

> configure.ac:21: warning: AC_CACHE_VAL(lt_prog_compiler_pic_works, ...):
> suspicious cache-id, must contain _cv_ to be cached
> ../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:1973: AC_CACHE_VAL is expanded from...
> ../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:1993: AC_CACHE_CHECK is expanded from...
> /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool15.m4:615: AC_LIBTOOL_COMPILER_OPTION is
> expanded from...
> /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool15.m4:4815: AC_LIBTOOL_PROG_COMPILER_PIC
> is expanded from...
> /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool15.m4:2651: _LT_AC_LANG_C_CONFIG is
> expanded from...
>
> Notice the pathname "/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool15.m4".  You
> emailed me privately with the list of your installed packages, and you
> have libtool-2.2.6b installed.  This libtool15.m4 file seems to conflict
> with that version of libtool, so please post the output of this command:
>
> pkg_which /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool15.m4
>
> Thank you,
> Greg

To complete the circle, I finally found these postings that describe the
problem and the solution, in case anyone else runs into this:

http://groups.google.com/group/muc.lists.freebsd.ports/browse_thread/thread/57a734d1196f30ef/2170682ff163b273?lnk=raot
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2009-August/008751.html

The likely cause was an incorrect pkg-plist file in the libtool15 port
at one time, and some files were not removed during the
libtool15->libtool22 upgrade.

Hope that helps,
Greg
- --