Gnome theme and window preferences not completely honored

Willoughby, Steve steve.willoughby at intel.com
Tue Jul 13 21:54:29 UTC 2010

I'm running FreeBSD 8.1-RC1 with Gnome 2.30.0 and am having a strange issue where I can set almost everything about the desktop appearance using the theme settings and the "preferences" tool, except the window decorations never change (internal icons, colors, etc, do) and things like focus-follows-mouse don't appear to be honored by the window manager.

Going into the gconf editor shows that, for example, apps.metacity.general.focus_mode="sloppy", but I still have to click to type.

I am probably missing something simple and obvious here, but I'm not spotting it yet.  What can I look for next?

Thanks!