i386 wine on amd64 - DRI a lost cause?

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Sat Jul 3 07:30:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 09:04:43AM +0200, David Naylor wrote:
> On Friday 02 July 2010 01:35:05 xorquewasp at googlemail.com wrote:
> > On 2010-07-01 22:16:26, David Naylor wrote:
> > > Have you tried the packages from http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/wine/
> > >
> > > They worked for me with nvidia and intel.
> >
> > Thanks, but as I mentioned in the hackers@ thread (and possibly this one),
> > it's actually DRI that's the problem. I can't even run 32-bit glxinfo
> > reliably in the chroot. libGL often receives EFAULT when doing various
> > ioctls on /dev/dri/card0 and sometimes crashes outright.
>
> That is interesting as I am able to play Warcraft 3 on an intel laptop.  I
> don't think it is using software rendering.  Wine runs without crashing and
> does require libGL to launch the game.
>
> I have also played Command and Conquer 3 on nvidia (but the proprietry nvidia
> driver does not use dri).

I'm got (unjailed) wine/i386 on amd64, and it plays DirectX 9 games
with no problems; eg EVE-Online. I'm using the nvidia-drivers, which
have to be installed on the 32-bit base, as well as the 64-bit driver
on the /usr/local
--
Jonathan Chen                      |      To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
<jonc at chen.org.nz>                 |      To be is to do  -- Sartre