Recommended supported SATA Cards?

Henrik Hudson lists at rhavenn.net
Thu Jul 1 21:37:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010, Rob wrote:

> On 06/30/2010 04:45 PM, Diego Arias wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Rob<lists at midsummerdream.org>  wrote:
> >
> >> I've seen the SYBA SY-PEX40008, but would prefer to have a PCI-e 4x
> >> connector for the bandwidth and avoid a port multiplier if possible. Since
> >> this will be in a ZFS pool, I'd prefer not to have 1 bad port take out more
> >> than 1 disk. :)  I have seen the Sil3124 chipset mentioned before in my
> >> searches and wasn't sure of its level of support either so it's nice to know
> >> that chipset is well supported.  Does the siis driver support offlining and
> >> swapping hard disks without rebooting?
> >>

> >> The Adaptec 1430SA seems to use a Marvell chipset according to some
> >> searching of the freebsd archives:
> >> http://old.nabble.com/Adaptec-1405-on-FreeBSD-td26337538.html
> >>
> >> But Adaptec's own site/documentation doesn't want to confirm it for me.
> >>   The best I've come up with is:
> >>
> >> http://ask.adaptec.com/scripts/adaptec_tic.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=12177&p_created=1098385883&p_sid=1tiW_K3k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=438&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQ6MSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjE5LDIxOSZwX3Byb2RzPTQ1JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0xLjQ1JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1
> >>
> >> I've found a commit that mentions support for the 1430SA:
> >>
> >> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-stable-8/2009-November/000565.html
> >>
> >> But I'm not sure what the state of the support is or how stable it is with
> >> that driver (looks to be ata?)
> >>
> >> If the 1430SA uses the Marvell chipset (as it appears to), then I guess the
> >> question comes down to the level of support for the Marvell 88SX6541 and
> >> 88SX7042 chipsets.
> >>
> >> Anyone know the current state of functionality for the above Marvell
> >> chipsets?
> >>
> >> Rob

> > Actually 3ware seems to have very good FreeBSD support is that beyond your
> > budget?
> >

> 3ware as in LSI?  I did a google search for 3ware and found a PCI card,
> but the link to their PCI-E stuff sent me to a different LSI website.
> Their website is a about as useful when it comes to technical
> documentation as Adaptec's, and all their cards are RAID level cards.
> The LSI cards I see are about as expensive as the RocketRAID cards and
> look to be similar in functionality.  How well supported are the LSI
> 'Host Bug Adpaters' (LSI website's name)?  Are they the same as the
> 3ware cards you mentioned before (by looking, I'm guessing no).

Personally, if this is for a server I would still use a higher level
RAID card even it will be used only in JBOD. Personally, I love
3ware. Their support is awesome, their drivers are decent and their
web based remote management interface is really nice. I believe some
cards eeek them out in raw perfomance, but as a whole package
they're pretty nice and they seem to get OSS, drivers and support.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116042

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson