Why hda sound device doesn't support pcm as a recording source?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Thu Jul 1 15:51:30 UTC 2010

I can't record conversations using my sound card. pcm is just not in the
set of sources.
Is this a bug or I miss somethig?

Audio device loaded with this message:
pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC272 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0

Trying to set pcm as recording device prints this:
$ mixer +rec pcm
mixer: unknown recording device: pcm

Mixer state is like this:
$ mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  61:61
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  92:92
Mixer mic      is currently set to  68:68
Mixer mix      is currently set to  84:84
Mixer rec      is currently set to  82:82
Mixer igain    is currently set to  87:87
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  86:86
Mixer monitor  is currently set to   0:0
Recording source: mic

8.0-STABLE

Yuri