Weird build errors only on 3rd core of quad core CPU

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Thu Jan 28 01:48:06 UTC 2010

On Thursday 28 January 2010 01:54:01 Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 28 January 2010 am 06:54:13 Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> > I am suspecting a broken CPU, but am not sure.
>
> it really looks like.
>
> Are you sure it is a quad core and not just a triple core?

It definitely identifies itself as a quadcore in dmesg (the text matches what
it said on the box): AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620. I don't think the hacks which
activate the 4th core on a triple core can alter that information.

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor (2600.02-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x100f52  Stepping = 2
 Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,
CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x802009<SSE3,MON,CX16,POPCNT>
  AMD Features=0xee500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM,
3DNow!+,3DNow!>
  AMD Features2=0x37ff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,
OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,WDT>
  TSC: P-state invariant
real memory  = 2147483648 (2048 MB)
avail memory = 1795858432 (1712 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <120909 APIC1901>
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 4 core(s)
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
 cpu2 (AP): APIC ID:  2
 cpu3 (AP): APIC ID:  3

> As already mentioned, you should check the stepping the software
> tells you but also what is actually written onto the CPU itself.
>
> Try to get the CPU exchanged and see what happens then.

I suppose that's the only way... hopefully I can convince the shop I bought it
from that it is broken.