named "error sending response: not enough free resources"

James Smallacombe up at 3.am
Wed Jan 27 21:15:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2010, at 10:24 AM, James Smallacombe wrote:
>> NOTE: Please reply off-list as well as I am not subscribed
>
> OK.  In return, please don't cross-post or multi-post the same question
> to multiple FreeBSD lists.

I posted to the -isp list a couple of hours earlier, then looked at the
archives and noticed zero traffic on that list for the past couple of
weeks, so I then posted here.

>> After getting home, I looked in the syslog and see thousands of these:
>>
>> Jan 26 21:50:32 host named[667]: client <IP REMOVED>#57938: error sending response: not enough free resources
>> Jan 26 21:50:32 host named[667]: client <IP REMOVED>#59830: error sending response: not enough free resources
>
> Were these client IPs expected to be talking to this machine?  It

This server is authoritative for a few hundred domains, so I would imagine
anybody doing a query on any of them would need to talk to it...unless I
misunderstand what you mean by "talk".

> indicates a problem sending UDP traffic; netstat -s output would be

Unfortunately, I did not have time for netstats or tcpdumps when this was
happening and I've not seen this log entry since yesterday evening.

> informative.  You might find that setting options in named.conf to tune
> the # of outstanding queries will help:
>
> clients-per-query 10;
> max-clients-per-query 20;

Thanks, I will look into those.  the man page for named.conf doesn't tell
you much and my latest cricket book is 3rd edition (only up to BIND 8), so
I guess it's time to break down and get the latest.

up at 3.am							    http://3.am