Migrating Thunderbird 3 Email Archives from XP Pro SP3 to FreeBSD 8.0

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Wed Jan 27 20:23:29 UTC 2010

I've done some searching on the Thunderbird (TB) website and have posted
the question at one of their support forums, but I felt I should ask
here, too, just in case someone else has confronted this.

I only use POP3 to retrieve email (the merits of POP3 vs IMAP not
withstanding) and store locally so I have easy and offline access to it.
For about two years now I've been using XP to retrieve and check my
email, upgrading through various versions of TB without a problem. Now
I'm confronted with an issue I've not faced before (or attempted to
confront).

Transferring archives from one computer to another. I know where they
are kept on the XP machine, I /think/ I know where they are kept on my
FreeBSD box (nothing a little ls -a won't help me find). My question is
if this even possible since Mozilla Foundation went to using binary
archives for the email. I think it might be, but I'm not really wanting
to waste the time to only be frustrated in the end.

Has anyone attempted such a migration? Did you need any special tools?
If not, was it as simple as copy/pasting into the appropriate directory
structure? Or do I need to set up the accounts in TB on my FreeBSD box
/first/ then copy/paste?

TIA for reading and especially for helping (if you can)! (:
--
Yours In Christ,

PIT