SNMP of FreeBSD

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Jan 27 01:54:25 UTC 2010

Steven Friedrich wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 January 2010 08:23:16 pm Steve Bertrand wrote:
>> Steven Friedrich wrote:

>>> I have three ports installed:
>>> bsnmptools-0.0.20060818_2 Snmp client tools
>>> mbrowse-0.3.1_8     An SNMP MIB Browser for X
>>> net-snmp-5.4.2.1_6  An extendable SNMP implementation
>>>
>>> I got a few errors after initial install.
>>>
>>> I don't know what pieces of snmp I want.
>>> I used the sample snmp.config from the /usr/src tree.
>>> I changed the name of the public community name.
>>> I uncommented the netgraph and pf lines and maybe even others 8o)
>>>
>>> I got rid of the errors on the console, except for this Warning:
>>> WARNING: attempt to domain_add(netgraph) after domainfinalize()
>>>
>>> Perhaps this is a bug in the example snmp.config I'm using?
>>> What client(s) tools should I look at?

>> What is it exactly that you need/want SNMP for?
>>
>> If for client only, what do you need to poll?
>>
>> Steve
>>
> I want to find out what I can monitor with it.  I don't know enough about it
> to know if it will be useful to me.  I'm an old hardware guy and I've been
> Admin'ing my own systems for many years. I am having a hard time finding
> pertinent documentation.
>
> I know one of the ports allows you to monitor the cpu, memory, etc.
>
> I already have a Superkaramba theme that has a StarTrek gauge for cpu, memory,
> swap, network in, network out, etc.
>
> I just want to know if SNMP has anything to offer me...

Personally, I use SNMP for read-only network gathering information.

Depending on the device you are trying to poll, you can generally
retrieve almost all information from a device.

What you have described that you have already seems like SNMP. Can you
give an example of a device that you want to 'test' against?

Assuming that you have an SNMP v2 device available for polling, try this
on your FreeBSD box:

# pkg_add -r net-snmp
# rehash
# snmpwalk -v2c -c your_ro_community ip_or_name_of_device

If you want specifics to test against, let me know off-list, and I'll
give you a Cisco router to poll.

Steve