SNMP of FreeBSD

Steven Friedrich freebsd at insightbb.com
Wed Jan 27 01:45:46 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 08:23:16 pm Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Steven Friedrich wrote:
> > I'm running 8-Stable, and ports are current.
> >
> > I'm installing snmp support, mostly just to investigate it.
> >
> > I have three ports installed:
> > bsnmptools-0.0.20060818_2 Snmp client tools
> > mbrowse-0.3.1_8     An SNMP MIB Browser for X
> > net-snmp-5.4.2.1_6  An extendable SNMP implementation
> >
> > I got a few errors after initial install.
> >
> > I don't know what pieces of snmp I want.
> > I used the sample snmp.config from the /usr/src tree.
> > I changed the name of the public community name.
> > I uncommented the netgraph and pf lines and maybe even others 8o)
> >
> > I got rid of the errors on the console, except for this Warning:
> > WARNING: attempt to domain_add(netgraph) after domainfinalize()
> >
> > Perhaps this is a bug in the example snmp.config I'm using?
> > What client(s) tools should I look at?
>
> What is it exactly that you need/want SNMP for?
>
> If for client only, what do you need to poll?
>
> Steve

I want to find out what I can monitor with it.  I don't know enough about it
to know if it will be useful to me.  I'm an old hardware guy and I've been
Admin'ing my own systems for many years. I am having a hard time finding
pertinent documentation.

I know one of the ports allows you to monitor the cpu, memory, etc.

I already have a Superkaramba theme that has a StarTrek gauge for cpu, memory,
swap, network in, network out, etc.

I just want to know if SNMP has anything to offer me...