sysinstall and the Right Terminal

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Mon Jan 25 21:47:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 09:25:21AM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> Thomas Dickey writes:
> > "Terminal" would probably be one of the programs using VTE,
> > which differs from "linux".
>
> 	This is all very interesting. Thanks to all. What I
> normally do is start a command-line shell on a Debian Linux box.
> This defaults to a "linux" console. When I ssh somewhere, ssh
> passes the exported $TERM value to the remote host so as I
> understand it, it will use this value in the environment that it
> exports to any application called from that shell. The question
> is whether or not all the escape codes it sends to address the
> terminal and all the escape sequences it looks for to represent
> arrow keys, etc, will still work.

It should - the remote machine "should" have the same terminal description.

Your local machine however may have initialized the Linux console to expect
UTF-8 encoding, and the remote machine may not know about that.  Line-
drawing wouldn't work properly in that case, but cursor-movement and
keys should.

> 	The best results, so far, are with using cons25 as the
> TERM value. The Up and Down arrows work right as opposed to going
> right straight to X Exit this menu.

My first impression was that it could be a disagreement between the two
machine whether cursor-application mode is set.  That changes the escape
sequence sent by the cursor-keys.

However, ncurses' descriptions for both say they're using
normal (non-application) mode.  So that doesn't seem to explain it.

It's also possible that the screensize isn't being transmitted (and
"stty -a" would show if it's really 25 lines or not).