Newbie gmirror questions

Volodymyr Kostyrko c.kworr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 22:35:37 UTC 2010

On 17.01.2010 19:18, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Mike Clarke wrote:
>
>> Actually I was more concerned about what happens when I boot into
>> another OS like Windows or Linux on one of the spare slices - I'm
>> assuming that I have to apply gmirror to the whole disk rather than
>> just selected slices?
>
> You can't do this. gmirror is FreeBSD specific, and other OSes can't
> deal with it. You can take your two drives, partition them (fdisk) and
> then create a gmirror across the slices you assign to FreeBSD. Similarly
> you could set up md to mirror the slice(s) used for Linux. As far as I
> know, Windows doesn't come with OS level mirroring software -- it can use
> hostraid[*], or I believe there are some commercial solutions you can
> purchase. Or just treat your Windows partitions as two separate drives,
> and live without resilience for that OS.

I can correct you here. XP Pro and later do know about 'dynamic' disks
and they can make mirrors from them. Booting from such disks is a kind
pain in the ass but it works for RAID0, RAID1, RAID0+1 and RAID5 setup.

I can be wrong, I'm not a Win-fan, I just do know this exists. You can
find details here:

Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.