fsck failed to sync inodes

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jan 15 20:33:47 UTC 2010

Hi--

On Jan 15, 2010, at 12:27 PM, gahn wrote:
> I booted the system into single user mode and tried to clean up one of my corrupted file system:
>
> fsck -y /dev/ad1s1f
>
> but in the end, the file system is still dirty. anything else I can do to salvage the data?

You're not providing enough details to give specific advice.

If this filesystem is already mounted as /usr (which is the default mountpoint for an "f" partition), you might try booting from CD and running fsck from there to ensure that you are not trying to fsck a mounted filesystem.  If your hard drive is failing and fsck cannot fix issues because it can't write the changes to disk, you should attempt to copy the entire drive onto a replacement drive and fsck that instead.

Regards,
--
-Chuck