Failed to Load Kernel

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Tue Jan 5 21:06:58 UTC 2010

On 1/5/2010 9:15 AM, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Programmer In Training wrote:
>
> Hello, P I T (Joseph?),

Joseph is fine. (:

> I'm rather astounded that no one has responded to your
> email as of yet.  IANAE, but here goes:

I'm used to it.

> <snipped the part about checksums, per your later post>
>
>> The message I'm getting (wish I could just screen cap and put it up on
>> the web):
>>
>> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
>> (root at almeida.cse.buffalo.edu, Sat Nov 21 14:05:36 UTC 2009)
>> /boot/kernel/kernel text=0x88d680
>> readin failed
>
> Could that be "readln"?  Been too long since I saw it.
> The typo below makes me assume you're typing from the
> view on the the monitor.  Bad news is, ev'ry time I've

You assume correctly

> seen this, it's because of bad media.  I've not seen it

Would an md5 check of the files on their yield any clues as to if the
media itself is bad?

> for years, though, and then, it was always on floppy
> installs, which, I think, are the posterboy for "bad media"
> on Google or Wikipedia or summat.

It could be an l, I just assumed a capital "I", I imagine.

>> elf32_loadimage: read failed
>> Unable to lad a kernel!
>> /
>> Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
>> Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
>> can't load 'kernel'
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the cd burned fine (I did the burn on a Toshiba
>> notebook running Vista, was able to browse the folders just fine,
>> everything looked in order).
>
> I'm guessing there's some issue we're both unaware of.  Perhaps
> someone with a better grok on the situation will post.
>
>> Do I need to use the bootonly.iso as well? What am I missing here? I
>> know my drive that I'm booting from is in perfect working order (DVD
>> Super Multi-Format DVD+/-R(W), HP, less then a year old with no problems
>> prior).
>
> You could try the bootonly,iso, but the disc you are using does
> the same thing, and more.  Bootonly is just the installer program,
> and is intended to be used when you want to installer over the network,
> like in the old floppy days.  Disc1 should have the installer and
> all the necessary "chunks" to get a working environment without
> a network connection.
>
>> All the hardware up to this point appears to be detected just fine.
>
> That's good to hear.  As I mentioned, hopefully someone else
> will have a better clue on this, as I've not had the problem
> for years.  I've also not burned a CD for FreeBSD on Windows
> *ever*, so I'm thinking it could be related to that, somehow

This won't be the first time I've had bad media issues. If that's the
case, reburning it from a disc from the same stack probably won't yield
different results (and I'm not insane). I hate to burn it with one of my
light scribe dvd-r's (the only ones I have at the moment) if it will
give me the same problem, though.

> or other, despite the fact that you can "see" everything.  But
> then again, maybe I just don't trust Windows programs ;-)

You and me both!

--
PIT