Printing via USB Port

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Feb 26 22:25:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Bill Tillman wrote:

> Okay, I have the setup like you show and at least now the jobs show up
> in the queue, but nothing makes it to the printer. It's funny because
> I can change the one line in /etc/printcap to point to lpt0 instead of
> ulpt0 and it works. I have both parallel and USB cables connected in
> this test setup, but the server I want to move the printer back to
> only has USB.

[Please don't top-post, it makes replying harder.]

Some inexpensive printers don't auto-switch ports, so try disconnecting
the parallel cable when testing USB.

> Something else that seems odd, when I rebooted and started lpd from the command line there are two instances of it showing up in the ps -ax output. Shouldn't only one be running?

If you have lpd_enable="YES" in rc.conf, you don't need to start lpd
from the command line.

There should still only be one running.  Is the second one grep, maybe?

> After reboot and restarting lpd, the job is in the queue but nothing
> is printing when using the USB connection.

Check the status:

% lpc status lp

And try restarting the printer:

% lpc restart lp