boot loaders and USB devices

Aiza aiza21 at comclark.com
Wed Feb 24 23:54:07 UTC 2010

My PC does not have the BIOS option to boot from USB.

I use an USB cabled external hard drive for taking backups. It has
FreeBSD installed on it which I want to boot from so the motherboard
cabled hard drive file systems are un-mounted during the dump. This USB
drive will only be attached to do backups.

I also have a USB stick containing a Freebsd install used to clone
itself to the motherboard cabled hard drive.

Since the BIOS will only boot from the motherboard cabled hard drive can
I install a boot loader to gain boot access to my seldom connected USB
devices?

I reviewed the grub port but with no joy.

What do you recommend?