Marvell Yukon LAN Adapters

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 11:39:09 UTC 2010

I just built a screaming machine with X58i motherboard, i7 CPU and 12 GB RAM. But alas, besides problems with loading Windows on it I seemed to have hit a snag with FreeBSD as well.

The motherboard has two built-in Gigabyte Ethernet ports which FreeBSD-8.0-STABLE-2010002-amd64 identifies as msk0 and msk1. All seems well when the machine boots and I get an IP address from my dhcp server. I can even make a connection via ftp or ping something but it won't be long before I start seeing Tx descriptor error messages and then watchdog timeout message for the NIC which is running. I've tried with both NIC's, swapped out cables, changed switches, etc...but this keeps happening.
My LAN runs on 10/100 switches, I don't have the $$ to upgrade my switches and NICs to Gigabyte yet. But it's my understanding that these NIC's will auto-detect the speed of my LAN and adjust accordingly, or maybe not.
Some google searches show this to be a wide spread problem and indicate that the FreeBSD drivers were fixed sometime in Decemnber or January. So if I installed the lastest STABLE code I'm not sure why this is happening.
Anyone have some advice on this?