NTP Stratum

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Mon Feb 8 14:17:04 UTC 2010

Jon Radel wrote:
> DAve wrote:
>> Afternoon from Blizzard central in Indiana,
>>
>> I have three DNS servers across the state that I have installed and
>> configured ntpd on. They seem to be working well except they are
>> announcing themselves as Stratum 0 servers.
>>
>> As many times as I have read the man pages I can't seem to figure out
>> how I *should* set them to announce themselves at a lower stratum.
>
> Not enough information about what you're trying to do:  Are these
> synchronized against an outside source of time?  Are you using a local
> source of time such as a GPS receiver?  Or are your servers sitting
> there with nothing but the undisciplined local clock and something like:
>
> server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
> fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 0
>
> in the config file?
>
> What's
>
> ntpq -c peers
>
> showing?

I am syncing with three server from N.us.pool.ntp.org. I have no fudge
configured.

]# ntpq -c peers
jitter
 ns-01.tls.net   .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00
+www.broadbandja 66.250.45.2      3 u  510 1024  377   61.944    3.528
 0.230
*point2.adamants 128.138.140.44   2 u  447 1024  377   59.360    0.863
 0.154
+66.36.239.104   69.64.37.141     3 u  507 1024  377   28.763    2.623
 1.182

I am pretty sure I am just reading the man pages incorrectly, but then
others things seem confusing as well.

> As a general sort of rule, if you're synchronized to some trusted time
> from somewhere, your stratum is going to be one higher than the stratum
> of the server you're synchronized against, and you rather have to go out
> of your way to override that.

Uhhh, the confusing part.
Dennis Glatting wrote:
> If you have them sync'd to external servers your servers will assume a
> stratum lower than those.

I vote for higher, I have no fudge configured and my servers are
claiming to be stratum 0 when I check them from outside. But!! Never
trusting my observations until checking again, I see when I tested that
my clocks were off. So if I cannot sync, my server continues to answer
time queries but claims to be stratum 0.

I am thinking I am getting closer to grasping this.

DAve

--
"Posterity, you will know how much it cost the present generation to
preserve your freedom.  I hope you will make good use of it.  If you

http://appleseedinfo.org