NTP Stratum

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Sat Feb 6 00:49:57 UTC 2010

DAve wrote:
> Afternoon from Blizzard central in Indiana,
>
> I have three DNS servers across the state that I have installed and
> configured ntpd on. They seem to be working well except they are
> announcing themselves as Stratum 0 servers.
>
> As many times as I have read the man pages I can't seem to figure out
> how I *should* set them to announce themselves at a lower stratum.

Not enough information about what you're trying to do:  Are these
synchronized against an outside source of time?  Are you using a local
source of time such as a GPS receiver?  Or are your servers sitting
there with nothing but the undisciplined local clock and something like:

server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 0

in the config file?

What's

ntpq -c peers

showing?

As a general sort of rule, if you're synchronized to some trusted time
from somewhere, your stratum is going to be one higher than the stratum
of the server you're synchronized against, and you rather have to go out
of your way to override that.

--

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com