Backup and FreeBSD/ZFS

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Feb 3 15:29:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 11:05:06AM +0100, Svein Skogen (Listmail Account) wrote:

> I'm currently considering switching my Backend (Running WSS2008
> Enterprise) to FreeBSD RELENG_8+zfs, however my last melee with ZFS and
> backups to Autoloader (HP 1/8 G2 LTO-3 job) didn't quite turn out in my
> favour.
>
> Seems FreeBSD has a decent backup solution for UFS/2 (dump/restore) but
> such luxuries where nowhere to be found for ZFS (but the performance was
> quite good!).

I haven't used ZFS yet, but if stuff is put there in 'file' with
an inode for each, I wonder if dump/restore would actually work
on ZFS.   Of course, it would not preserve the formatting/filesystem
building.   But it doesn't do that fur UFS either.
Backups created by dump and read by restore are just files with a
series of files as they come from disk organized and located by inode.

But, as I say, I haven't worked with ZFS yet so do not know how
date is kept track of on ZFS.

////jerry