NIS server doesn't receive its own passwd entries to nsswitch

Florian Wagner florian at wagner-flo.net
Fri Dec 31 13:43:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've just configured FreeBSD 8.2-RC1 to act as a NIS server and as a
client to itself.

What works: A Linux client can query NIS. As in ypcat passwd/group and
getent passwd/group show the entries from the server. The server can
query its on NIS provided groups (ypcat passwd/group).

  nisserver # ypcat passwd
  nisuser:*:10000:10000:::
  nisserver # ypcat group
  nisgroup:*:10000:

What doesn't work: The server doesn't recieve passwd entries to its
nsswitch, but does receive group entries. I.e. getent passwd only
shows local entries, but getent group shows local and NIS entries.

To verify that this is not a problem with getent I also tried:

  nisserver # touch somefile
  nisserver # ls -l somefile
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec 31 14:09 somefile
  nisserver # chgrp nisgroup somefile
  nisserver # ls -l somefile
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  nisgroup  0 Dec 31 14:09 somefile
  nisserver # chown nisuser somefile
  chown: nisuser: Invalid argument
  nisserver # ls -l somefile
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  nisgroup  0 Dec 31 14:09 somefile

I am NOT missing the "+:::::::::" line in master.passwd (as per the
handbook entry on NIS clients). I also tried changing "passwd: compat"
to "passwd: files nis" in /etc/nsswitch.conf which didn't help at all.

Regards
Florian Wagner