Portmaster general questions and problems

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Thu Dec 30 11:48:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:59:49 +0000
"Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Threads about portmaster and portupgrade status raise the question,
> what flags for portmaster are comparable to -R and -r for portupgrade?
>
> I might want to portupgrade a package and all its dependencies (-R),
> or less frequently, all packages that depend on the package to be
> portupgraded (-r).  How would I do that using portmaster?  I read
> both man pages many times.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

I never gave it much thought, however, I am under the impression that
portmaster does not require an explicit flag to do that.

When installing some port, then I use portmaster -D /usr/port/<some
port path>, the -D determining that I do not want to be prompted
whether to retain the old distfiles or not, but to retain them (-d
being the converse and deleting old distfiles). Using portmaster in the
way described checks for dependencies and automagically updates them in
case there are newer available.

Cheers,
--
Christopher J. Ruwe